Sunday, January 22, 2012

Omelet with Sausage, Peppers, Onions, and Cheese

Omelet with Sausage, Peppers,
Onions, and Cheese
Okay, so I learned how to make an omelet on a cruise ship.  Early into the cruise, I learned that the only reason to go to the dining room was for Dinner.  Any other meals definitely needed to be taken from the buffet.  One could certainly eat meals other than Dinner in the dining room , it was just not as casual. 
In the buffet line, the cooks made the order as the guest stood waiting.  It was quite impressive.  So when I ordered an omelet, the cook proceeded to prepare it.  He worked two skillets at once. That was more impressive.
After I selected the items to fill the omelet, the cook placed the skillet over the flame, put in about 4 Tablespoons of oil and let that heat.  At this point, I thought the omelet would be greasy.  Then he ladled in the equivalent of  2 beaten eggs. Once the egg set, he flipped the omelet over to make sure it was thoroughly cooked.  Then he filled it, place the omelet on a plate and handed it to me.  It took about 3 minutes. 
The omelet was not greasy, as I expected it to be. It was fluffy and tender. So I returned every morning to watch and learn.
This was not the way that I was taught to make an omelet during homemaking class. (Is that even offered in High School, any longer?) It was not the way that I have seen omelets cooked in restaurants or on the food channels. But when I tried those methods, the product was not as beautiful as the one that this fellow made.
Upon returning home, I tried his method and it worked for me as it did for him.  The secret is to have the oil hot enough to set the eggs as soon as the eggs hit the oil. I do not flip the omelet over, but I do scrape the wet egg to the sides so that the entire thing is cooked. It turns out beautiful every time.
When you make omelets, decide how many eggs you will need based on the size of the pan bottom.  The cook on the cruise ship used a pan that was 6-7 inches in diameter.  I use a coated pan that is about 11 inches.  Because of the size of the pan, I use 3 or 4 eggs and divide the omelet for smaller appetites.  However, if serving larger appetites, I leave it whole.
This is the recipe for the omelet pictured above and I consider this 2 servings. This requires 2 skillets

1 Tablespoon of Oil
1/2 of a small Onion, finely chopped
1/2 of a larger Green Bell Pepper, finely chopped
4 ounces of Smoked Beef Sausage, sliced and quartered
4 Eggs, beaten and completely blended
4 Tablespoons of  Oil
Salt and Pepper
1 ounce of grated Cheese (whatever kind you like

In a skillet, heat 1 Tablespoon of oil over low  heat and cook the onion, pepper, and sausage until done but not browned. Set aside.
In a bowl, whisk the eggs until completely blended, salt and pepper.  Put 4 Tablespoons of oil into the coated skillet and heat over low to medium heat. Pour in the eggs. The edge with turn opaque but should not brown.  Once the eggs start to set, the omelet will draw up.  Moving the pan an a circular, spiral motion, let the uncooked eggs pour over the edge.  You can also use a spatula to scrape the top.  Once the eggs have set, fill the omelet with cheese, and sausage mixture, on one side.  Carefully fold in half and remove.  When removing an omelet this size you will need an additional spatula for lifting from the pan.
I hope that you try this method and enjoy it as much as my family does.

Happy Brunch!

Deloris

No comments:

Post a Comment