Sunday, January 8, 2012

Scotch Eggs

Scotch Eggs
My son was being facetious when he asked me to deep fry a boiled egg.  Mostly, he said it because he knows that I do not usually eat boiled eggs or fried eggs.  When I told him that deep fried, boiled eggs were called Scotch Eggs, he asked me to make some.
These are traditionally served on Christmas Eve but I think this is great game day food.  Serve it with spicy mustard, hot sauce and a pickle.  Sounds like it is almost a complete meal ;).
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

8 Hard Boiled Eggs, peeled
1 pound of bulk Breakfast Sausage, I used Owens Hot sausage
1 raw Egg, beaten
1/2 cup flour
1 cup Dry Bread Crumbs
Oil for frying
Spicy Mustard
Hot Sauce
Pickles

Heat the oil in a skillet to 300 degrees.
Dry Hard Boiled Eggs, completely.  Divide sausage into 8 balls and flatten.  Cover the Hard Boiled Eggs with sausage. Roll in flour, then in raw egg and finally in the dry bread crumbs. 
Carefully place the eggs in the oil, making sure not to overcrowd.  Brown the eggs on all sides.  Remove to an oven proof pan.  Place in preheated oven and bake for 10 minutes.  Let cool and serve with spicy mustard, hot sauce and a pickle.  Yummy!

Enjoy!

Deloris

No comments:

Post a Comment