Sunday, March 10, 2013

Road Trip to Corpus Chrisit, TX

Corpus Christi Bridge at Night
It is time for Spring Break, nationwide, but Shirley and I were ahead of the game.  We went to visit our friend, Debbie, a couple of weeks back, in Corpus Christi.  Because we went prior to the opening of beach season, we were able to enjoy the area without overcrowding.

If you are  one of those people who loves the party scene, then our little trip would not have your cup of tea.  We got to stroll the beach on Saturday Morning barefoot with our coffee and half and half tea from the local Stripes convenient store and greet other people who were out; some were strolling, others were walking their dogs.

Debbie has a great little recipe for half and half tea.  She should call it Three Quarters and One Quarter Tea, because that is what it actually is.  It is 3/4 unsweetened ice tea and 1/4 lemonade from Stripes.  It is very yummy! (See, I got a recipe in this post)

This is a food blog, so you can be sure that I am going to share the restaurants that we visited and all of the delicious food that we ate.  The first restaurant that we went to was La Plaza(#1).  It was so crowded that we had to wait about 30 minutes, but it was worth it.  I had a Mexican style Red Snapper that was covered  in a cream sauce and it was too die for.  It was served with rice and refried beans.  I could have had Charo bean soup but the refried beans in South Texas are sooo good and different than what we are used to in Central Texas, I chose old school and went with refried beans.  In place of using Pinto beans, small white Navy beans are used.  I also had a Mango Margarita, since I had a designated driver.  I would like to tell you what Shirley and Debbie ate, but as I said, I had a Mango Margarita. (he~he)

The next place that we went was to Debbie's granddaughter's birthday party.  Debbie's daughter, Sonya,  and son-in-law, Erin, and his entire family were so gracious.  They fed us fajitas with all of the trimmings.  Sonya has a Meyer Lemon tree in the back yard, which still had lemons on it and was starting to bloom.  I parked myself right by it to enjoy the wonderful fragrance.  Having grown up in the Rio Grande Valley, I miss the air filled fragrance of citrus blossoms, this time of year.  It is like being in an orchard.

The next day we went to Moby Dick's, in Port A,. for seafood.  Shirley and I each had the largest platter of Fried Shrimp that I have ever seen.  I would say that we should have shared but I am glad that we did not.  Debbie had an equally large platter of Fried Oysters.  Additionally, I had a Roasted Colada.  It is a Pina Colada made with roasted coconut.  Yum!

We took the ferry back across the bay.  This ferry ride is only about 8 minutes.  Debbie and Shirley left me securely  in the back with the child~proof lock in place.  Hummm?  I did mention that I had a Roasted Colada, earlier?  I managed to get out in time to see the dolphins swimming along side the boat.  Very Funny, girls ;)

A tour of the old Downtown gave us a chance to enjoy the beautiful architecture from an era of opulence.  While this area has been populated since the 1500's, the downtown has buildings that reflect the late 1800's and early 1900's.  There is a wonderful art shop and coffee shop downtown.  The art shop is the Treehouse and it has fused and stained glass, photographs, jewelry, textiles, and paintings produced by local artists.  You know that I could not resist shopping.  I purchased pairs of earrings and a matted photo. Everything in that shop was reasonably priced.  I can not remember the name of the coffee shop but the barista made me a beautiful Macchiato, complete with a leaf design.  He did however, talk down to me when I ordered it.  He told me that it was not a "Starbucks" version and did I understand.  Really!!!!

Oso bay has a protected bird sanctuary that is so peaceful.  There were several birders out the day we visited.  Debbie could name all of the birds.  Then we walked a trail that was just as wonderful.  Be sure to go, if you visit Corpus.  

The last place that we went to eat was a restaurant that serves the most delicious breakfast.  I had a corn tortilla burrito and a Mexico Coca~Cola.  If you have never tired one, do so, if you have the opportunity.   (Unless, you have high or low blood sugar.  I was wound up for about 2 hours.  And while we were at the Mercado, a Mexican style flee market, my blood sugar crashed.  Wow! Not good.  So keep that in mind.)  Mexico Cokes are made with real cane sugar and taste like a Coke Zero, only better.  Instead of the little 6 ounce size, these were 12 ounces.  What a combination, caffeine and sugar, whew!

The next morning, we had to go.  It was a wonderful visit.  I miss having Debbie around the corner.  She is always so much fun.

We hope you enjoyed taking the food  trip to Corpus with us!

Shirley, Debbie, and Deloris

No comments:

Post a Comment