Monday, May 14, 2012

My Mom's Dewberry Jam


Dewberry Jam sealed with lids and wax
All right, I will admit it,  I am a jar collector.  I get that from my mom. She was the founder of  the practice "reuse, repurpose, recycle".  We saved any jar that could be reused.  Remember, though, that any jar that has a chip or a crack is not reusable, so it needs to be recycled. 
When school was out for summer, my sister and I spent most of it gardening, working in a cotton field, and canning.  At the time, I detested those chores.  One of the reasons was that the house was hot the entire time we were canning and the smells were overwhelming.  Now, I miss those chores, except hoeing a cotton field. I do not think I will ever miss that!

So that leads us to this post, My Mom's Dewberry Jam.  I managed to pick about 12 cups of dewberries.  I made a cobbler, a sour cream pie, and jam.  All of it made me very happy!

To make the Dewberry Jam, you will need canning jars with lids. Make sure that the lids fit the jars or Gulf Wax can be used in place of lids.  Gulf Wax can be found in the canning section.  Follow the directions for lids or the wax. 

One of the things that I do is that I sterilize the jars more than recommened.  Make sure that the jars are clean then lay them flat in a big pot of water and bring to a boil.  Let them boil for at least 5 minutes.  Cover with the lid and keep them hot.  Right before the jam is ready, remove from the hot water, top side up and leave the jars alone.  Do not attempt to dry them.  That defeats the purpose of the sterilization.  My mom always sterilized this way, as well.  She had known people during the "40's" that had not handled canning procedures properly and they had become ill.  So, if you take nothing else from this, remember everything needs to be clean and sterile!

3 cups of Dewberries, washed with stems removed
2 cups of Water
1 package of Dried Fruit Pectin, (Sure-Jel)
4 cups of Sugar

In a large stock pot, crush berries thoroughly. Add water and fruit pectin. Stir well until pectin is dissolved.  Heat to boiling.  Boil 7 to 10 minutes.

 Add sugar. Stir well until dissolved.  Bring back to a boil.  Boil for 5 minutes, stirring frequently, or until thick.

 Ladle into jars, leaving about 1/2 inch of space at the top.  Wipe the edge of the jar clean, if you do not have a canning funnel. Pour melted Gulf Wax on top and let cool or place prepared lids on top of the jars and tighten.  When I use lids, I follow with a 10 minute water bath, to make sure that a vacuum is pulled. 
To use a water bath, place the filled and lidded jars in a large stock pot and fill to 3/4 full with water. Bring water to a boil.  Boil for 10 minutes.  Remove the jars and let cool.  Do NOT try to tighten the lids.  It will break the seal.  You will hear the lids "POP". Once that happens, the lids will have a concave appearance and you will know that the jar is sealed.  If there are any lids that are convexed, refrigerate and use the jam within 2 weeks.

Enjoy!

Deloris

No comments:

Post a Comment