Sunday, November 9, 2014

Banana Pudding on Steriods

This was originally posted on September 2, 2013, but I am making it this afternoon, so I thought it might be nice to re-post.  This time I am making it with Vanilla Wafers instead of cake.  I use the least expensive cookies that I can find because those seem to be more porous and soak up the pudding.

D.




Is that even legal?  Will I have to sit out of cooking for a year?  Hmmmm, I think I like that. 
This is what I made for the first day of school and there was enough to make a small one for my Lil’ darlin’, Chris.  He will probably want the big container.  Oh well.  

So I had bananas that where headed over the hill but no vanilla wafers.  A white cake seemed to be the best option.  You ask, “Why”?  I ask, “Why not”?  It was easier than driving to the store, I am not kidding.  You can use any type of cake that you like, but I make a White cake from scratch.  The recipe for it follows.  I figured if I was going to the trouble to make homemade vanilla pudding, why use a cake mix.  You could also use a bought cake and a box of instant pudding.  This is totally up to you.  If you are afraid to make homemade pudding, try it a few times.  If it turns out lumpy, use my Aunt Edith’s secret.  Strain it through a sieve while it is warm.  She told me to do this when I have lumpy pudding or gravy.

White Cake
Vanilla Pudding
5-6 overripe Bananas

White Cake
Preheat oven to 350 degrees; grease and flour a 13” X 9” oven proof cake pan.

1 ½  cups of Butter
2 ¼  cups of Sugar
6 Egg Whites (save the yolks for the pudding)
3 ½ cups of Flour
½  teaspoon of Salt
4 teaspoons of Baking Powder
1 cup of Half & Half or milk
1 teaspoon of Vanilla

Cream butter and sugar together in a large bowl with an electric mixer.  Slowly add egg whites and blending, thoroughly. 
Sift flour, salt, and baking powder together.  Starting with flour mixture, add to butter mixture in three separate additions, alternating with Half & Half.  Blend completely after each addition and then scrape the sides of the bowl.  Stir in Vanilla.
Spread batter evenly in prepared pan.  Bake 35-40 minutes at 350 degrees, or until cake tester comes out clean.  Remove from oven and let cool while you make the pudding.

Vanilla Pudding
2 ¼  Cups of Sugar
6 Tablespoons of Cornstarch
1 ½  teaspoons salt
6 cups of Milk
6 Egg Yolks, beaten
6 Tablespoons of Butter
1 Tablespoon of Vanilla

In a saucepan, blend sugar, cornstarch, and salt, add milk.  Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thick and bubbly.  Continue to cook for another 2 minutes.
Temper the egg by stirring in tiny amounts of the hot mixture into the beaten egg. ( I end up using about 1/2 of the hot mixture but some people think that is a bit much.  I do not like the eggs to get grainy) Add  egg mixture to the rest of the mixture and continue cooking and stirring 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla.



To Assemble
Cut cake into 2” squares and then split in the middle, like a biscuit.  Lay cut sides down on  a 13” X 9” pan.  You will not use all of the cake at this time.  Save the rest to crumble over the top.  Slice bananas.  Layer ½ of the banana slices over cake.  Ladle ½ of pudding over bananas.  Layer second half of bananas.  Pour remaining pudding over the bananas.  Crumble the rest of the cake and sprinkle over the pudding.
Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.

Enjoy!
Deloris


No comments:

Post a Comment