Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Chewy Honey Cookies


Chewy Honey Cookies
 First, I want to mention that doctors recommend that you NOT give honey to children under 1 year old.  Please talk to your pediatrician before letting your children eat these cookies.  I only tell you this because when I was pregnant with my first child, I canned baby food.  Plums were plentiful that year and so I added a little honey, thinking that would be better than other sugars.  Then, when I met with my prospective pediatrician, he told me NO HONEY.  It was like he knew. I must look like a hippie or something.  All of that plum baby food went right into the trash.  The End.
Now that my little disclaimer is out of the way, all other people who like chewy cookies and aren't allergic to honey will love these cookies.  If you are making these for a cookie exchange, please let your friends know that these contain honey. That is true for any food, though, Especially, peanuts and tree nuts.
As I am writing these warnings, I am thinking was this recipe worth it.  The answer is YES!

Finally, the recipe. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

4 1/2 cups of Flour
4 teaspoons of Baking Soda
1/2 teaspoon of Salt
1 cup of Margarine, softened
1/2 cup of Shortening
2 cups of Sugar
1/4 cup of Honey
1/4 cup of Corn Syrup
2 Eggs
2 Teaspoons of Vanilla
Sugar

Sift together flour, baking soda, and salt, set aside.
Cream together margarine, shortening and 2 cups of sugar in a bowl until light and fluffy, using an electric mixer at medium speed.  Blend in honey and corn syrup.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Blend in vanilla.
Gradually add dry ingredients to creamed mixture, mixing well after each addition, with a spoon.  Shape dough into 1" balls.  Place balls, about 3" apart, on greased baking sheets. Flatten each slightly with the bottom of a drinking glass, dipped in sugar.
These spread out and make a large cookie, be sure to separate the dough balls or these run together.
Bake at 350 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.  Remove from baking sheets, cool on cookie racks.  Makes about 7 dozen.

This is one of those recipes where the dough can be frozen and then thawed for later use.  I try to freeze this in 3 freezer bags with the name on the outside.  Then you can make a couple of dozen at a time.  Be sure to completely thaw the dough before baking.

Yummy!

Deloris

No comments:

Post a Comment