Sunday, November 6, 2011

Debbie's Spiced Pumpkin and Ginger Soup

Debbie, my wine girl, gave me a pumpkin and this recipe.  I felt like Linus and could not bring myself to cut up my cute little pumpkin, so I substituted a can of  pumpkin.  If you use canned pumpkin, make sure it is NOT pumpkin pie filling. This is very delicious.  She recommends serving it with Wine Shop at Home Chardonnay or Pinot Noir.

1 leek, chopped
1 ounce of ginger root, scraped and chopped fine
1 onion, chopped
2 Tablespoons of Butter
1 teaspoon of Cumin
few sprigs of fresh Thyme
2 Tablespoons of toasted Pumpkin Seeds or sour cream
salt and pepper to taste
1 Chili, chopped
6 1/2 cups of Vegetable Broth
2 1/4 pounds of Pumpkin, peeled, seeded, and chopped

Cook the onion, leek, cumin, chili, ginger, and thyme in the butter in a big pan until they are soft.  Add the broth and pumpkin and bring the mixture to a boil and season to taste.  Simmer for 20 minutes.  Let the soup cool down and then blend the soup, one quarter at a time, in a blender or food processor until smooth.  Reheat and serve with roasted seeds sprinkled on top or do what I did and top with a dollop of sour cream.

Thanks Debbie!  This recipe is a keeper.

You can order Chardonnay or Pinot Noir from Debbie at www.wineshopathome.com/debbierobinson

Enjoy!

Deloris

No comments:

Post a Comment