Friday, April 20, 2012

Rural Life

There is something wonderful about living in a rural community.  When I got up this Saturday morning I had a flat tire. Once Chris aired it up for me, I drove to
Mart to have it fixed.  The drive there was lovely.  The wheat was just starting to turn and the wind was blowing it so that the movement in the fields truly appeared as waves.
Kubitza's tire shop is open from 8AM to Noon on Saturdays but it was already 10AM when I arrived and there were 2 customers ahead of me.   I could only hope that they would have time to fix it.  There were no air conditioned waiting rooms with bottled water.  Just benches outside and pleasant, helpful people.  Within 20 minutes, I was heading to Read's grocery store. I had to wonder what this little town was like in it's heyday.  There had been a rail station, a cotton gin and a grainery.  All of those are gone now.  The silos still serve as giant remainders of a bustling farming town that  has very little farming around it, any more.  Most of the family farms changed over to ranching about 30 years ago.
At the grocery store, the youth baseball had a bake sale set up with quite a few customers lined up.  They will be sold out shortly, I am sure.  The grocery store is just a small, family owned store.  It has been there for 75 years, or so.  It has all of the things that are necessary and a few surprises. They have an assortment of interesting tableware, from time to time.  I have purchased glasses, pitchers, kitchen utensils and even rugs from the store.  It is always a surprise to explore the store. The owners and employees are always friendly and helpful.  They still take your groceries out to the car and the checkers still speak to the customers!!! I love this grocery store, but I bet you can tell.
On my return home, I reflected on how thankful I am to be able to live in the country and still have these little communities, in which to be a part.

Deloris

No comments:

Post a Comment