Sunday, August 12, 2012

Fried Boiled Chicken


When Karen Keyser was visiting, earlier this year, she told me that her mother made Fried Boiled Chicken.   Karen did not know how her mother prepared the chicken other than to boil it first, then flour and fry it. I have tried this several times before I got a recipe that was worth posting,
The first thing that I discovered  was that the chicken needs to be boiled with additional flavors to season it.  I did this by adding a thoroughly washed lemon and some cinnamon sticks.  The second thing I discovered was that boiling the chicken first, eliminates the strong flavors of the dark meat.  So if you have those who only eat light meat, this takes care of the picky eaters. The third thing I discovered is dry the boiled chicken.  Otherwise, the oil will pop and splatter.

The nice thing about this recipe is that the chicken is completely cooked so that frying is limited to a few minutes.  This allows for a moist piece of chicken with a crispy crust.  You can leave the skin on the chicken, if you want.  I took it off because I make 2 meals from one chicken.  That allowed me to have chicken broth to make Chicken and Dumplings.  Basically, I got 2 meals for about $6, total.  Not bad in today's economy. The chicken can also be boiled in a slow cooker during the day, so that all you have to do is come home and finish the frying. Each meal served 4 people!

1 whole Chicken, cut into pieces and skinned,.  I left the skin on the parts that I was not going to fry.
1 Onion, peeled and sliced in half
1 Lemon, thoroughly washed and cut in half
2 Cinnamon sticks
1 teaspoon of Garlic Powder
Salt and Pepper
1 Chicken Bouillon cube
Oil for frying
Flour for dredging

Place the chicken with the skin, giblets, all in a large stock pot.  Add the rest of the ingredients except oil and flour.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer.  Cook until chicken is cooked through and is  tender.  Transfer the pieces of chicken that are to be fried, to a plate covered with paper towels.  Allow the broth with the rest of the chicken and vegetables to cool then refrigerate over night.(see how to boil a chicken).
Dry the chicken with additional paper towels then dredge in flour.  Allow the flour to dry on the chicken while the oil is being heated to 350 degrees, in a skillet.  Fry a few pieces at a time.  Be careful because the oil will splatter some.  Fry the chicken until the flour is just browned.  Let is cool for a few minutes before serving.

Enjoy!

Deloris

No comments:

Post a Comment